Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Long Hard Road Out of Hell.



It has been five long years since my chronic Lyme diagnosis. Such a simple sentence and yet it exemplifies the summary of my recent existence. When I started on this path to wellness I honestly could not have imagined what has transpired. I've learned much about my limits and the strength it takes to survive a chronic illness.

I would be lying if I said this has not been a traumatizing experience. I have learned a lot about loss and living with what's left behind, a catalog of fossilized memories and a manic hope for the future. I'm mot the same person I was five years ago.

I have lost everything and gained much, faced death and lived to carry on another day. I am scarred but realize that no journey is complete without tragedy.

Life does not simply exist for the sheer purpose of light-hearted amusement. It is our collected experiences, both comforting and diabolical, that together sew the fabric of who we are.

I am still fighting an uphill battle, the darkness like a hound at my heels. However, I see the future beyond, growing past the fear of what I've lived, of what I must still face, running headstrong into the storm.

In loss you find truth. You find meaning.

KMH, 9/30/15

No comments:

Post a Comment